Not Pregnant Anymore!

Welcome to the world, Daniel Lee Hanson, III!

Daniel was born on Friday, June 2 at 11:43pm. I went into labor at 6:40 in the morning. I knew immediately, from the strength of the contractions, that I was in labor. I started timing them–6-7 minutes apart, about 1 minute long, and strong. I spent most of the day just relaxing–storing up strength for when labor started to get difficult.

My mom and brother and sister drove up from San Diego and were at my house before lunch. My mom brought in lunch for us all and we ate together. I sent her to the grocery store for me while I took a warm bath and layed down to nap. I was able to get a couple of winks, but laying down made the contractions even stronger.

By about 5pm, my contractions shifted from every 6-7 minutes to every 2-3 minutes, and we knew it was getting close. I was still handling the contractions well and could almost still chat right through them–though concentrating on my breathing and relaxing was much easier–they certainly were hurting by then.

I called the midwives to let them know I was ready to go to Dan’s parents’ house, so they said they’d come over, too. When they checked me, I was dialated to 6.5! We didn’t expect that much progress to have been made since the contractions were fairly sporadic all day and also because the baby wasn’t in the optimal position. If he’d been looking straight back to my spine, he’d probably have already been born by then. Instead he was looking toward my left hip–almost looking back, but turned just enough that his head wouldn’t fit right in my pelvis.

By then, the contractions were really getting to me, so we were trying everything we could think of to get the baby to turn. I layed in various positions, I walked around swinging my hips back and forth trying to jiggle him around. I rocked on my hands and knees. Finally, when they checked me again around 9:30 or 10, I was dialated to 9 cm and he had finally turned.

At that point, I was so relieved because I knew the next centimeter would go quickly–but the pain was so intense, I was vomiting and feeling like I couldn’t go on. But everyone was so supportive and helped me through it.

I got in the bathtub to try to soothe some of the pain–I can’t say that I noticed any difference, but it felt good to be in the water, nonetheless. In less than 30 minutes, I felt like pushing.

I pushed lightly for a little while, just to get the hang of it. Once I really started to bear down, he came down really quickly. I was able to feel his head descending. My water didn’t break until his head was about 2 inches from coming out. I pushed for a little while longer in the tub, but the position I was in was awkward and I was getting tired. The midwives had me get out so I could lay on the bed and rest between the contractions. Getting out of the tub at that point was so wierd. I could literally feel his head between my legs and I had to walk from the bathroom to the bed… then climb into the bed! Once I was there, though, I was glad.

I pushed and pushed, but he refused to crown (crowning is when the biggest part of the baby’s head doesn’t retract after a contraction). My perineum just wouldn’t stretch and was about to tear in a very bad place that would have been extremely difficult to heal, so they gave me an episiotomy and the baby was out with the next push.

I needed lots of stitches due to lots of tears and the final cut, but I was able to hold baby Daniel and nurse him through the whole process. He didn’t cry for the first hour of his life outside the womb–he just cooed and sighed. He only started crying when they took him away from me to weigh and measured him (8 lbs., 2 oz., 20.5 in long).

After it was all over, we all made our way downstairs and fell asleep.

I’m now at home adjusting gleefully to parenthood.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: